U.S. History for the Grammar Stage

I have been busy planning for next year. We are planning to study the first year of American History (to 1860) and are excited to get started! We are using The Complete Book of US History as a spine, as well as many great literature selections including many selections from Sonlight Core D.
US History to 1860: Schedule using The Complete Books of US History as a spine with scheduled picture books, readers, and read alouds.
US History to 1860: Coloring and Activity Pages
People arrive in theAmericas – Leif Ericson
Hopi (print on cardstock)
Henry Hudson (word search)
Estevanico
LaSalle (story and comprehension questions)
Roanoke (Powhatan)
Mary Johnson
Spanish Missions in NorthAmerica

Gamesand Supplementary Activities:Scrambled States ofAmerica
Draw Write Now Book 5
Unit one: The Pledge of Allegiance
Unit two: Star Spangled Banner
Unit three: Yankee Doodle
Unit four: America, America
Unit five: Battle Hymn of theRepublic

Handson Projects:
Native American teepee (cheaper/easier version)
Unit two: SantaMaria model
Unit three: Colonial life games http://www.homesteadtoys.com/outdoortoys.html
Unit four: Corn Husk dolls
Unit five: Covered Wagon
Covered Wagon (cheaper/easier version)

11 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Thanks for posting it, and for all of the work I am sure went into putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just did this time period last year using reading lists I made...except it went faster than I thought it would (I didn't have one overall spine to slow us down!), and we made it through the Civil War also (and we started History really early last year -- in the beginning of July). We read a lot of the same books you are reading. FYI, I thought Skippack school was fairly short compared to the other books you have scheduled as read-aloud (My DD read that one on her own, but I glanced at it). It probably won't take you a full two weeks!

    We're doing "Year 2" this year! I am still making my reading lists...I had them almost all done in June last year...but I have been busier this summer and I think I have my first two units pretty much done. At least that is enough to get me through the first couple months of school. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, this looks great. I am planning a similar year for 2014.
    Just wondered what you suggest for adding in creative writing...
    Thanks heaps,
    Sherid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this! I am so excited to start early American history with my kids, and this is perfect. thank you!!! Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this! Helps in my planning this year. I read your post on timeline pegs and felt like you were in my mind. I am thinking of doing something similar. Although we are not part of classical conversations (WAY too expensive since I am 7 kids!), we did order their memory work songs/sentences and was thinking of making something similar to what you did but with copywork and a color picture that they can work on while I am doing a read-aloud. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was helpful. We loved the history sentences last year, and are doing them again this coming year. I have found Truthquest to be a great resource for these as they have memory cards that work well for this purpose. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Wow - you are so organized! I am planning the 2014-15 school year and trying Sonlight core C/D for the first time. These will be great additional resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was helpful! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Aloha! Thank you for all the helpful resources! The US History to 1860 Schedule link isn't working. Any chance you can repost? I stumbled upon you through google and this sounds EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...